Proceeding with a Grant Award
Congratulations on receiving a grant award! There are a number of steps that must be followed before, during and after the award. These steps are in place to protect both the district and the individual(s) responsible for submitting the grant. Please read through the information below, and don't hesitate to contact the Coordinator of Grant & Foundation Development.Prior to Grant Start
- Provide the original of any official grant award notification to the Office of Grant & Foundation Development. Keep a copy of the award letter for your own records.
- As a rule, grant funds are to be forwarded to the Office of Grant & Foundation Development, where they will be deposited into a specific Budget Unit Number (BUN) specifically used to track grant expenditures.
- It may, on occasion, be appropriate for a grant to be deposited into a school holding account or other account. The decision on whether to do so is solely that of the Coordinator of Grant & Foundation Development.
- Any grant contracts requiring signature should be forwarded to the Office of Grant & Foundation Development. Contracts may only be signed by the WCSD Board President. Under no circumstances should a building principal or staff member sign official grant contracts. If there are any questions, please contact the Coordinator of Grant & Foundation Development.During the Grant Lifetime
After the Grant has been Completed
- Any expenditure of grant funds for equipment and supplies must be through the WCSD Purchasing Office. Purchase requests should be forwarded to the Office of Grant & Foundation Development, following any instructions provided to you by that Office.
- Any expenditures related to salaries and benefits should be coordinated with the Office of Grant & Foundation Development. The Office will share that information with WCSD Payroll to ensure proper assignment of costs.
- Any other expenditures unrelated to #1 and #2 should be coordinated with the Office of Grant & Foundation Development.
- Under no circumstances should a grantee use personal funds or credit card to make grant-related purchases. The district will NOT reimburse an employee for such purchases unless the purchase was authorized by a WCSD director. This does not apply to vehicle and mileage expenses, if they were written into the approved grant proposal.
- The individual(s) responsible for grant activities will be expected to be available to the Office of Grant & Foundation Development for assistance in tracking and monitoring grant expenses.
- Once the grant activities have been completed, the individual(s) responsible for the grant will be expected to either complete, or assist the Office of Grant & Foundation Development, in the completion of any reports required by the funder.
- Any reports completed and submitted to the funder must be copied, with a copy going to the Office of Grant & Foundation Development, and another being kept for that person's records.
- Grantees must work with the Coordinator of Grant & Foundation Development to establish a schedule for expending remaining funds if grant monies must be carried over into the following school year.